Dear fellow tasters,
There’s a new American bistro in downtown Jakarta and it’s suitably named Downtown Bistro. Located on the ground floor of the Landmark Center, this restaurant-slash-lounge-slash-meeting point adopts a classic American settings, with patterned tiles, wooden chairs, marble-top tables, bookshelves lining up the wall, black leather couch seatings, glass ceilings and doors, and nostalgic jazz collection on the background.
A unique feature of the dining area is probably the central meeting point tables which are set like library learning corners complete with three power outlets on each chair, making it very convenient for charging laptops, tablets, smartphones, and other gadgets one may have. There’s also an al fresco area where the sound of the trickling water from the fountain adds a touch of romanticism to the ambiance.
For the menu, Downtown Bistro offers mostly American selections for breakfast, lunch and dinner, including salad, sandwiches, burgers, pasta, main courses, appetizers and desserts. There are a few Asian dishes there, and for beverages, there are tea, coffee, cocktails, wine and spirits to choose from. Here are some that I had a chance to try during a tasting invitation one evening, with description from the menu and my commentaries.
- [Appetizer] Wild mushroom soup: Creamy mushroom soup served with a touch of white truffle oil – I really enjoyed the warm and velvety soup, a great start for the evening.
- [Pasta selection] Escargot linguine pesto: Linguine served with pesto sauce, escargots, dry chili, sundried tomato and parmesan cheese – The pesto tasted wonderful and a bit spicy from the dry chili. I especially loved the use of sundried tomato in it.
- [Asian favorite] Crisp glazed orange chicken: Breaded chicken coated in zesty orange-flavored sauce, served with rice – The crispy chicken with the tangy yet slightly spicy sauce was quite enjoyable.
- [Sandwich] Smoked turkey sandwich: Fresh and tangy smoked turkey, chopped lettuce, tomato, red onion, smothered with melted Swiss cheese and cranberry mayonnaise – It was a delicious sandwich, perfect taste combination from the turkey and sweet cranberry mayo.
- [Main course] The George steak: Flame broiled tenderloin served with mashed potato, glazed with balsamic reduction – The meat was nicely seasoned and good enough to eat on its own without the slightly overpowering balsamic sauce.
- [Breakfast set] New York breakfast: Homemade toasted English muffins with bacon and smoked turkey, topped with two poached eggs and served with creamy hollandaise sauce – The eggs were poached perfectly and I would definitely go back during breakfast time for this.
- [Breakfast set] Paris breakfast: French toast served with maple syrup, choice of pork or beef bacon, choice of beef or pork sausage, and sliced fruits – I loved the French toast and what’s not to love about bacon and the huge portion.
- [Dessert] Sticky toffee date pudding: Moist sponge cake made with finely chopped dates, covered with toffee sauce – A scrumptious and interesting use of date. It’s a ‘date’ dessert, what more can I say!
- [Dessert] The George pie: Luscious granny smith apples baked in flaky crust, drizzled with powdered sugar and caramel sauce – I just loved this dessert with all the textures and tastes from the tangy apples, flaky crust, sweet caramel sauce, and vanilla ice cream.
- [Cocktail] DK 80: triple sec, amaretto liqueur, crème de cassis, lime juice, syrup de gomme, lime wedges – It was a refreshing sweet sour yet strong drink.
- [Cocktail] Crème brûlée: absolut blue, peach syrup, peach liqueur – Not for dessert but for cocktail, it was a pretty and peachy drink.
For a new place in town, Downtown Bistro is definitely one that I would recommend. The premium location and the delicious food are just some consideration for choosing it to be a meeting point for business and leisure. Lastly, I would like to thank Downtown Bistro for having me.
Cheers and Happy Eating!
The taster’s notes :
Favorite dish – turkey sandwich, the george steak, the desserts
What to try next time – the food from the gallery outside the tasting
PS: The pictures in the gallery are a mix of pictures taken by me (some of them feature smaller tasting portion of the dishes) and professional pictures courtesy of Downtown Bistro (with the ‘courtesy of’ note) showing full portion of the food. I also include pictures of food outside the tasting which I will definitely try next time around.