Dear fellow tasters,
A couple of weeks ago, I was invited for the third time to a Starbucks Indonesia gathering and the theme was casual fine dining. Hmm, I wonder why. It turned out the theme was chosen to feature the newly-introduced winter promotional whole bean coffee by Starbucks, called Casi CieloTM, a fancy Spanish name which means ‘almost heaven’. This time, the gathering was held at a new Starbucks outlet at Tempo Scan Pacific Tower, Kuningan area.
I arrived a bit late for the gathering and missed the whole introduction and explanation about the beverages and food. But that also meant that I got to go straight to the tasting part. First, of course, was to try out a cup of brewed coffee from the Casi CieloTM, made of coffee beans from four coffee plantations in Antigua Valley, Guatemala. The ‘almost heaven’ coffee had a rich and elegant characteristic, not too strong, but with a smooth and full-bodied flavor. I loved the classy brown patterned packaging too, by the way.
To accompany the coffee, Starbucks Indonesia also introduced an array of food selection for winter 2012. Reading and drooling allowed below.
- Starbucks Fruit Toast: Two slices of toasted wheat bread with dried fruits – cranberry, raisins, apricots, papaya, pumpkin, sunflower seeds and assorted nuts, perfect with butter and strawberry jam for a power breakfast.
- Mango Lychee Layered Cake: This one was definitely my favorite – I’m such a sucker for sweet treats. I liked how they combined the scrumptious sweet mango and lychee cream and jelly with a thin slice of ‘lapis legit’ on the outer layer.
- Tokyo Cheese Danish: Buttery danish pastry with sweet cream cheese filling, what more could you ask.
- Chicken Caesar Wrap: Creamy and cheesy caesar salad with herb chicken wrapped in tortilla bread, highly enjoyable and filling.
- Tuna Tomato Wrap: Instead of chicken, this one was filled with tasty tuna salad, lettuce, tomato, cucumber and cheese.
That was not all. For winter this year, or as we know in Jakarta as the wet and rainy season, Starbucks Indonesia brings a new espresso-blended beverage with a citrus twist, the Valenchia Macchiato – a mix of sweet Valencia orange flavor with milk, froth, and espresso, topped with honey Valencia drizzle. I actually tried the iced version before and I found it to be a bit weird. In the gathering, we tried the hot version and it turned out to be much nicer.
Upon leaving, we also managed to try a new beverage which probably will become a permanent addition, the White Chocolate Mocha, supposedly inspired from the popular holiday-only seasonal cranberry white chocolate mocha, less the cranberry. And the goodie bag this time was really special. Yes, we found in the bag amongst other things, the much sought-after Starbucks planner (which I never really got because I couldn’t really bother to collect the stamps or stickers). Thank you so much Corry Tjong and Starbucks Indonesia!
“Coffee smells like freshly ground heaven.” –Jessi Lane Adams
The taster’s notes:
Favorite coffee/food – white chocolate mocha, chicken caesar wrap