Dear fellow tasters,
On Thursday last week, I joined another food tasting gathering. Well, I didn’t get invited at first but I read about it on twitter, so I mentioned Mr. Curry’s twitter account and yay an email came in for the invitation *grin*. I have been to Mr. Curry several times but only at their Grand Indonesia restaurant. This time, the food tasting was held at their second and newest outlet at Pondok Indah Mall 2. Location wise, it’s not that far but add weekday after-work hour and crazy Jakartan traffic, it took me two and a half hour to get there.
By the time I got to Mr. Curry and had a chance to catch my breath, it was already 8 pm and all the other tasters already passed through the appetizer and ready to start the main course. Fortunately, I still managed to get some pictures before the food got devoured and Miss Mila from Ismaya also ordered a new batch of appetizers for me to try. There were two appetizer dishes, four main courses and two desserts on the food tasting list but more items actually appeared on the table. Check them out below.
- Salmon Carpaccio – I just loved the freshness of this dish, the crunch of the lettuce and cherry tomatoes, the delicious salmon slices, and the tasty tangy salad dressing.
- Korokoro Tofu – These breaded and deep fried silk tofu dices are so hard to get away from, I couldn’t seem to stop munching them.
- Chicken Katsu Curry Rice – I didn’t manage to get my hand on this, but I had it before on my previous visit to Mr. Curry and loved it. This chef’s recommended good old chicken katsu with curry sauce and rice is a classic.
- Assorted Mushroom Omurice – The omurice was not that fluffy melty type which I am still searching for. Nevertheless, the portion was generous and it tasted quite delicious. The omelette rice was nicely drenched with double cream and demiglace sauce with lots of mushrooms in it.
- Minced Beef Spaghetti – Pasta and curry proved to be quite a match in this menu. The spaghetti was paired with tasty minced beef mixed in sweet savory curry sauce.
- Hokkai Curry Ramen – The ramen was also served with curry sauce, topped with egg, tofu and scallops. The noodle was a bit soft to my liking (probably overcooked), but it was quite enjoyable.
- Oyakodon – This chicken and egg donburi contained curry sauce as well and tasted pretty yummy.
- Salmon Curry Pilaf – I didn’t get a taste of this fried rice-like dish but it sure looked appetizing.
- Macha Karamba – This scrumptious dorayaki tower was made of a stack of hanito (honey toast) and dorayaki and on the side were three scoops of macha (green tea) ice cream with a dash of red bean paste. I especially loved the bittersweet flavor of the ice cream.
- A Dash of Fruits Splash – Didn’t try this one either, pretty much the same as macha karamba but with vanilla ice cream instead of macha, and fruits instead of red bean.
For drinks, there were two items that I tried. The first one that I ordered upon arriving was the blueberry lassi which was a nice refresher with sweet and sour blueberry and yoghurt flavor. And the second beverage was the black sesame smoothie, also very enjoyable with sweet roasty taste of black sesame. It was a fun food tasting evening, regardless of the stressful ride to and from the premise. Thank you Miss Mila from Ismaya and Miss Grace from Mr. Curry for being wonderful hosts. Thank you Mr. Curry for the scrumptios treats.
The taster’s notes:
Favorite dish – korokoro tofu, salmon carpaccio, assorted mushroom omurice, macha karamba
What to try next time – haven’t tried the naan and other desserts